The most important wine-producing areas of the prefecture of Chania are located in the northwestern part. The “Wine Road” traverses the areas of Kissamos, Kolymbari, Mousouroi and Voukolies, passing through beautiful landscapes and historic sites. Wine-lovers have the opportunity to get to know the modern products of wineries in the Chania area at the Cretan Wine Festival held each year, usually in spring. Karavitakis vineyards The winery of Karavitaki Vineyards is located in Pontikiana in the area of Kolymvari in…
The famous Clock Tower of Rethymno is one of the most famous monuments of Rethymno but there is a catch. It no longer exists! The only sign that proves its existence is a part of its door that can be seen built into a store on Arkadiou Street.
The Rimondi Fountain is one of the most well-known attractions in the city of Rethymno, including the Guora Gate, the Clock Tower (that unfortunately no longer exists) and the Kara Musa Phasha mosque. The cities of Crete have always had a water supply problem, which the Venetians faced by building aqueducts and fountains.
The Nerantze Mosque is one of the most impressive and best-preserved monuments of the old town of Rethymno which, like many other buildings, underwent significant changes, as did the city itself.
The Guora Gate is all that is left from the Venetian fortification of Rethymno. This magnificent gate, which was named after the Venetian rector (= governor) Giacomo Guoro, has an opening that spans 2,60 m wide. It used to be the main entrance to the walled city and it led to the central square, where the most important public buildings of Rethymno were located. (the Loggia, the Rimondi Fountain, the Clock tower).
The Kara Moussa Pasha Mosque The Kara Moussa Pasha Mosque was named after the Turkish commander of the naval campaigns that were conducted against the city of Rethymno. It is situated where the Venetian monastery of Agia Varvara used to be.
The archaeological site of the Basilica of Agia Sophia dates back to the early 6th century AD and is located south of the coastal settlement of Panormos and east of Rethymno. According to researchers, it was probably the Diocese’s seat of Eleftherna during the Early Byzantine years. It was most likely dedicated to Agia Sophia, hence the name and is one of the largest to be found in Crete.
The Fortezza is an imposing fortress, which overlooks the city of Rethymno from the rocky hill of Paleokastro. It is possible that in antiquity before the medieval Fortezza was built, the acropolis of Ancient Rithymna and the temple of Artemis Rokkea existed in the area.
At an altitude of 2.456 metres, the chapel of Timios Stavros (Holy Cross in Greek) immortalises the ancient practice of worship in peak sanctuaries.
Saint Francis The single-aisled basilica of St. Francis belonged to the order of the Franciscans during Venetian rule and stands out both for its special architecture and its sculptural decoration. The Turkish conquerors turned it into a poorhouse and in 1796 established a girls’ school right next to it. To its east, the ruins of the two chapels can still be seen.
The name of these ancient, dry-stone constructions derives from the Latin word “metatum“, which means soldiers’ lodging. The word passed on to the Byzantines, meaning a temporary lodging, and it still has, more or less, the same meaning in Crete; mitata are used by shepherds as lodgings and storage rooms for cheese. They seem to have come about as a result of some ancient construction tradition and can be seen in various locations around the island but especially in the…
There are many museums one can visit in the Rethymnon prefecture that cover a wide range of interests and areas, from archaeological museums to folk art and ecclesiastical collections, to contemporary art exhibitions.
The Archaeological Museum of Rethymno is located in the centre of the Old Town of Rethymno and at a close distance to other historical and cultural areas for visitors to explore. The earliest collection of artefacts and exhibits of artistic and historical importance were gathered in 1888, on the initiative of the Greek Educational Association of Rethymno. Until 1990 the museum was accommodated in the Loggia, the most important meeting place at the time. In 1991 it was moved into…
The first evidence of habitation for the city of Rethymno comes from the Late Minoan years (1550-1250 BC). However, the ancient city of Rithymna reached its heyday much later, between the 4th and 3rd centuries BC.