In the Prefecture of Lassithi one can visit various museums, which house important local archaeological finds, folklore collections or rare ecclesiastical relics.
The Archaeological Museum of Agios Nikolaos was founded in 1970 in order to display the archaeological finds from Eastern Crete, which until then had to be taken to the Museum of Heraklion. The collection includes objects dating from the Neolithic Age tothe end of the Graeco-Roman period.
The collection has been on display since the summer of 2001, and it is housed in a building donated by the Ministry of Health and Welfare, in collaboration with the Municipality.
Toplou Monastery is a historical monastic centre which played a significant role in all struggles of the Cretans for freedom. In the museum, as well as in the museum shop and the church of the monastery, one can admire a part of the treasures that have been preserved by the monks during the centuries-old existence of Toplou.
The Archaeological Museum of Sitia opened in 1984 and houses a significant collection, divided into four sections. The exhibits cover a period of approximately 4000 years, from the Final Neolithic era to the Late Roman period, and they are displayed in groups, according to the region and the site where they were excavated. Information is provided in five languages.
The Archaeological Collection of Ierapetra, open since 1986, includesfinds from the whole district of Ierapetra, dating from the Minoan period until the Roman years. It is housed in a building of 1899, in the town centre, known as the Ottoman School.
The Archaeological and Folklore Collection of Myrtos is housed in a building handed over for the purpose by the Orthodox Church of Ierapetra and Sitia, and it has been open to the public since 2001.