The monastery of Kalyviani, which includes amongst others Cretan folk art workshops, is located close to the town of Mires, approximately 60 km from Heraklion.
Its ecclesiastical collection includes portable icons of the 18th and the 19th century, prelatic vestments,Gospels, 19th century manuscripts, wood carved objects, as well as an 18th century wood carved iconostasis of inestimable value.
The museum also has a folklore department, where various everyday life items, such as agricultural tools and household articles, are exhibited.
- Tips, Suggestions, Iseful info
- History, Culture
- What to do (Activities)
- What to see (Culture, Nature)
- location Moires, 70400, Phaistos, Heraklio
- museum type Folk, Ecclesiastical
- exhibits Icons, vestments, manuscripts, wooden temple, various objects, popular culture
- type Museum
- relevant routes & paths
Summer Season (1 April-31 October): Daily (except Saturday) 09:00-14:00