The museum of Icons & Relics of the Holy Archbishopric of Crete is located in the city centre and is housed in Saint Catherine’s church, near to Saint Minas Cathedral. It dates back to the 15th century and used to be the church of a monastery during the Venetian period. Throughout its existence, the monastery flourished, religiously and culturally.
Great artists and writers of the Cretan School, such as Michail Damaskinos, Vitsentzos Kornaros, Georgios Chortatzis, Kyrillos Loukaris and possibly Domenicos Theotokopoulos studied there.
After the Turkish invasion, the church was transformed into a mosque, of which only the base of the minaret survives today.
Nowadays, in the museum one can see beautiful icons, such as the“Adoration of the Magi”(1579-1584),the“Last Supper” (1579-1584), the “Burning Bush” (1579-1584),the“First Council of Nicaea” (1591), etc.
- Tips, Suggestions, Iseful info
- History, Culture
- What to do (Activities)
- What to see (Culture, Nature)
- location Saint Catherine’s Square, Heraklio, Heraklio
- museum type Ecclesiastical
- exhibits Ecclesiastical tables & relics
- type Museum
- relevant routes & paths
Tel.: +30 2810-288825