The seat of the Prefecture of Heraklion is housed in one of the most historical buildings of the city.
During the Venetian period it was merely a single, oblong construction which was used as barracks, as it was in the years of Turkish rule.
The building was re-designed in 1920 by the architect Dimitris Kyriakou. It was divided into three sections, each of which accommodates different services.
A monumental marble portal, removed from a ruined Venetian church that was part of the Monastery of Saint Francis, has been incorporated as the entrance to the middle section, which houses the Courthouse. This portal was an offering from the Cretan-born Pope Alexander to his native land.
- Tips, Suggestions, Iseful info
- History, Culture
- What to do (Activities)
- What to see (Culture, Nature)