This prefecture contributes to the rich island-wide monastic story with its old foundations – the most important and historic of which is the one at Toplou – a real fort with some unusual relics.
The Monastery was founded between 1580 and 1596 and it is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The external courtyard features the wine press, the warehouses and the stable, while the monks' cells, the catholicon and the reservoirs are situated in the internal courtyard.
Panagia Akrotiriani (Our Lady of the Cape) Monastery, colloquially known as Toplou, is one of Crete’s most impressive and historic monasteries. It is a true bastion and a living museum of the island’s monastic history.
Built just inside Agioi Pantes (All Saints) Canyon on Cape Trachilas, the monastery has exquisite views of the sea. Particularly noteworthy are the caves that riddle the canyon and which were once used by the monastery’s hermits.
The monastery is situated at the mouth of Perivolakia Gorge. Its catholicon is a cavernous, two-aisled church dedicated to Saint John and the Holy Trinity; the monastery’s other buildings spread out around it.