The women's coenobitic Monastery of Panagia Kaliviani (Mother Mary of Kalyvia) is located at the site of a men's monastery from the Byzantine era that was destroyed by the Ottomans. The 14th century chapel of Zoodochos Pigi has survived.
The present-day catholicon of the convent, which is dedicated to the Dormition of Mother Mary, was inaugurated in 1927. In 1956, the then-Bishop Timotheos Papoutsakis decided to establish charity foundations within the Monastery, which was converted into a convent. Thus, an orphanage, a home for the elderly, a centre for adolescent protection, a centre for child protection and a sewing – tailoring school were founded.
At the same time, there are also handicraft workshops, a religious – folklore museum, a school for the foundations' children, etc. The convent continues to engage in significant charitable work to this day.
- Tips, Suggestions, Iseful info
- History, Culture
- What to do (Activities)
- What to see (Culture, Nature)