This is one of the largest and richest monasteries on Crete. It flourished during the era of Ottoman rule and is dedicated to Saint George.
The structure of the monastery is reminiscent of 17th century secular Cretan architecture with independent cells, one built next to each other. The Refectory and the priory are located west of the church.
The surviving manuscripts, dating back to the 18th century onwards, prove that this was the greatest period of flourishing for the monastery, during which it was one of the premier intellectual centres of the island.
During the revolution of 1821, 18 monks were killed and the monastery was abandoned, before being reconstructed during the era of Egyptian rule.
Visitors to the small museum of religious art can see icons, holy relics and manuscripts from the 18th century containing both texts and exceptional illustrations.
The great number of monks at the Monastery confirms the great monastic tradition of Crete.
- Tips, Suggestions, Iseful info
- History, Culture
- What to do (Activities)
- What to see (Culture, Nature)