Check below archaeological sites, monuments, museums and any other culture landmarks that you will find in the city.
Knossos, the largest and most brilliant centre of the Minoan civilization, is located 5 kilometres south of the historical centre of the city of Heraklion. East of the hill where the magnificent ruins of Minoan Knossos are situated...
Heraklion had been fortified already in the years of the First Byzantine period (330-840 AD). These fortifications were supplemented by the Arabs (840-961), the Byzantines (961-1204), and the Venetians, after 1211.
The Morosini fountain, also known to the citizens of Heraklion as Liontaria (= lions) is one of the most remarkable monuments of the city.
The church of Saint Titus (Agios Titos) was initially built after Crete was liberated from the Saracens by the Byzantine emperor Nikephoros Phokas, in 961 AD.
The Loggia is considered as one of the most remarkable buildings of the Venetian period in Crete. It used to be a kind of Club, where the wealthy and noblemen gathered.
The fortification works conducted by the Venetians in the city of Heraklion also included defensive works at the port. Two fortresses were built at the end of each pier, however only the largest one, the so-called Koules, survives today.
The road which connects the port with Saint Mark’s square, on which the palatial mansion of the Venetian Duke was built, was already the most important street of the city already in the Venetian period.
The church of the Saints Peter and Paul is located on the coastal road, east of the Historical Museum of Heraklion, among ruins of buildings of the Byzantine period.
The Morosini fountain may be the most famous fountain in Heraklion, however the city has other beautiful ones as well, which also date from the Venetian era.
The church of Saint Mark (Agios Markos), dedicated to the patron saint of Venice, used to be the official Venetian church of the city of Candia, and its construction began in 1239.
A small, humble church dedicated to Saint Minas and the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple, known today as “Little Saint Minas”,can be seen very close to a church of Saint Catherine. This chapel of Saint Minas, who had been the patron saint of the city since 1735, features an iconostasis of exquisite art and icons made by the painter Georgios Castrophylacas.
The Venetians built a series of shipyards (known as Arsenali) at the southern and the eastern area of the port, in order to house and protect the activities of the building and repairing of their ships. Their size is impressive.