This sea kayak trip is suitable to experienced paddlers only. You need to meet all critiria below. If you are in doubt for any of them please choose any of the other multi day trips as this one is very demanding.
- Been able to paddle with an average speed of 6 km per hour
- Been very comfortable in sea state 4, force 4 (check here for convertion if not familiar with sea state and force)
- Know to perform an assisted rescue (any) in the above conditions
- Been able to track a kayak without a rudder (we use skeg only boats aka British style)
Winds up to force 4-5 are very common during the trip and you need to be able to paddle in those conditions.
We will try to avoid them but it will be impossible to paddle at least two-three days without winds and waves. Part of the trip faces strong katabatic winds and need super attention. This is where you can get benefit from our experience to paddle safety in a wonderful coastline.
1st day of the trip will be spent to make a plan for the trip, answer any of your questions and practise rescues and group communication as this is essential. We will buy food and water from the small villages that we will meet across the paddling trip. Supplies for 2-3 days are necessary in case of a bad weather as most of the trip takes place in a very remote area.
If the weather is very good on the first day we will try to paddle too as much as possible.
The trip take place in one of the most wonderful parts of Crete passing as we paddle close to Asterousia mountains (1243 meters the highest summit) and Dikti (2148 meters). Many remote beaches along the way. The largest part without landing is about 15 km.
During the winter months the ground temperature varies from 8oC to 20oC while the water at 15oC. Dry suit is not required as most likely you will be too warm with it when is sunny. The chance to have in the whole 8 days rain is close to zero. It never happened the last 30 years.
We are always available to adapt/tailor this tour or design a similar one according to your needs! Do not hesitate to contact us for any request!
- type: Water Element, Adventure, Guided Trips/Tours
- activities: Sea Kayak,Sea Kayak,Activities/Sports, Adventure
- tags: South Crete, Asterousia & Dikte mountain, Cretan beaches, Hidden Crete
- duration: 8 days
- on request: Yes
- location: South East Crete (Lasithi, Heraklion). From Makrigialos to Matala area, Heraklio, Lasithi/East Crete
€900 per person
3-4 bookings: €750 per person
4+ bookings: €550 per person
* 6 or more people can participate, if most of the participants are experienced paddlers (3* and above)
Advanced Difficulty Level (minimum 3* skills required)
(*) You need to be able to paddle 20 km per day in force 4 sea state 4. 150+ km overall distance
- All the kayaking equipment is provided
- You will need to bring your personal clothing equipment, possibly camping equipment etc.
- (*) Detailed instruction will be given during trip setup communication.
8 days, 7 nights
Upon Request: All year long
- Ground transportation
- All kayaking equipment & instruction.
- Overnight In tents. Some days might be possible to stay in small apartments only if the trip is taken place in summer months.
- Air or ferry to Heraklion on the island of Crete
- Lunches, drinks and any kind of food
- Personal clothing and accessories
- Baggage and trip cancellation insurance, airport taxes and gratuities.
- Camping equipment, food and food preparation i.e. this trip is self catering. You can buy canisters for the stove from Crete.