Transfer to the hotel in Sougia (around 4 hours from Heraklio). In the evening we will have a brief presentation of the whole trip and will continue with a short practise on deep water rescues and other important things regarding safety that you need to aware while paddling.
Overnight in Sougia.
After breakfast we leave to the sea-side village of Agia Roumeli at the south side of Crete. This is a paddling distance of 16km, stopping off at some of the most beautiful and remote beaches along the south coast.
We will spend the rest of the day swimming, snorkelling and exploring the area. You can also hike the first part of the Samaria gorge if you wish as Agia Roumeli is located very close to Samaria gorge.
If weather is good and camping is an option we will camp in Agios Pavlos beach which is very close to Agia Roumeli.
Today we paddle from Agia Roumeli to Sfakia.
We will stop for break at two of the most famous beaches on the south coast, Agios Pavlos and Marmara, where we will also have lunch before paddling to Sfakia.
This is a paddling distance of 20km.
Overnight in Chora Sfakion.
Today we will paddle from Sfakia to Rodakino.
This is a great paddling day, plenty of beaches to explore with superb scenery.
Overnight in tents. If you prefer you can stay in a hotel (please mention this when you book for this trip).
The total distance is 20km.
From Rodakino we will paddle towards to famous Preveli beach where we are going to stay in tents.
Behind the magnificent Preveli beach is an extensive glade of palm trees and an impressive river. If anyone is interested in we can have a quick walk to the monastery of Preveli.
This is a paddling distance of 18km.
Today’s paddle is from Preveli to Agios Pavlos. Overnight in hotel.
This is a distance of 12km.
Agios Pavlos is a great place for practising kayak skills as it is very protected. It is also great for snorkeling and free diving.
Agios Pavlos towards Agia Galini. This is a great day paddling with some superb caves just a few minutes before we arrive in our destination. This is a distance of 13km.
This is the end of our trip. We transfer you to Heraklio airport at a convenient time.
Note: Depending the weather we might alter a little bit the above plan. We can remove some days if you wish to do a shorter trip. If the weather goes really bad we will spent most of the days hiking or doing an alternative paddling trip in Eastern Crete
We are always available to adapt/tailor this tour or design a similar one according to your needs! Do not hesitate to contact us for any request!
- type: Water Element, Guided Trips/Tours
- activities: Sea Kayak,Activities/Sports
- tags: South Crete, White mountains, Cretan remote beaches, Hidden Crete, Nature
- duration: 7 days
- on request: Yes
- location: South Crete (Chania, Rethymno). From Sougia to Agia Galini., Chania, Rethymno
€900 per person
3+ bookings: €790 per person
* 6 or more people can participate, if most of the participants are experienced paddlers (3* and above)
Moderate Difficulty Level
(*)You need to be able to track the kayak and to paddle it for 15 km per day in force 4 sea state 4. 150+ km overall distance
You need to bring:
- Quick dry shirt (a long sleeve shirt - a lycra rash vest or "rashy" - is ideal)
- Quick dry or neoprene shorts
- Waterproof paddling jacket (i.e. A cag or cagoule)
- Swimming costume
- Sport sandals, water shoes or neoprene shoes
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen (even the winter months)
- Dry bags (many small 5,10,15 or 20lt max)
Additional paddling gear for late and early season expeditions; December to March/April:
- Neoprene or waterproof/warm trousers
- Dry suit if paddling during the February (optional)
- extra base layer
- pogies or gloves
- 4 seasons tent or 3 season waterproof
- sleeping bag for 5-8 oC comfort temperature
- Pair of trainers or walking shoes or sport sandals
- 2 T-shirts or similar
- 1 shorts
- 1 trousers
- 1 thermal top base layer
- 1 fleece or ideally a goose down jacket
- warm hat
- Underwear and sox
- Pak-towel or similar
- Insect repellant
- Toilet paper
- Waterproof camera or camera in a waterproof dry bag
- Stove (we can provide it for a small fee)
- Canisters (4 are enough usually for 8 days)
- Fork, spoon
- Cook set (frying pan, stockpot/kettle, saucepan with lid, detachable handle etc)
7 days, 6 nights
Every month from April to November
It is also possible during the winter months Upon Request (contact us for details)
- Ground transportation
- All kayaking equipment & instruction.
- Overnight In tents. Some days might be possible to stay in small apartments only if the trip is taken place in summer months.
- Air or ferry to Heraklion on the island of Crete
- Lunches, drinks and any kind of food
- Personal clothing and accessories
- Baggage and trip cancellation insurance, airport taxes and gratuities.