Elounda - Plaka - Kolokitha and Pachia Ammos
Our trip officially begins in the morning at the Heraklion city where our staff will meet you. Exact meeting time will be determined depending participants flights. We can collect you from any place in Heraklion or anywhere in Crete if needed (extra fees might be apply - contact us). Once everybody is ready for departure we will enjoy a great drive across north and east Crete until we reach Elounda village. This is an one and a half hour driving. When we arrive in Elounda and fix our staff there will be a kayak instruction session with emphasis in rescues and other safety issues for the journey. We will review the itinerary for the next four days and answer whatever questions you may have.
The training session will take a couple of hours and will include paddling too if we have enough time.
After getting our breakfast and getting ready we will start paddling towards Spinalonga island. The island was subsequently used as a leper colony from 1903 to 1957. It is notable for being one of the last active leper colonies in Europe. The last inhabitant, a priest, left the island in 1962.
We will make a big stop in Spinalonga giving you the time to explore by walking the island.
After leaving Spinaloga we will paddle towards Kolokitha islet.
A magnificent small islet with lots of birds. Most of the times we see sea turtles and if you are more lucky dolphins. The color of the water is Turquoise-Blue.
After the break in Kolokitha islet we will depart for the same destination that we started but from a different side so no need to paddle again the same area. A few km away we will reach Elounda village where we will stay for the night. There are many tavernas and small cafe/pubs in the area and ATM if you would like to get some money.
This is a distance of approximately 21km.
Early morning we will start paddling towards Agios Nikolaos city, the capital of Lasithi prefecture.
It is the only city in Greece where you can visit the city centre by kayak!
Agios Nikolaos is probably best known as a tourist town that serves as a hub to the twenty or so small villages and farms that make up that part of Lassithi. Tourist attractions include the small lagoon Lake Voulismeni where we will visit and stop for a coffee, small beaches in the town, the tiny island Agioi Pantes (we will circumnavigate that too), the archaeological museum.
This days paddling is less remote than the first day but also very beautiful. The view to the city of Agios Nikolaos and Dikti mountains (the summit is 2148 meters) along with small islets in the area is magnificent.
After the break in Agios Nikolaos city we will start paddling a little bit backwards until we reach our final destination, a small well protected bay (the destination might be different based on conditions).
This is a distance of approximately 18km.
From Agios Nikolaos we will start early morning paddling towards Pachia Ammos. The 3/4 of the trip are protected from winds. The last few km most of the times are a little bit rough but we will be prepared for that the 1st day of the trip with rescues etc so no worries...
There are some really nice caves in this trip and a wonderful small islet where we are going to paddle around. Some very remote beaches with wonderful water for swimming and snorkeling across the coastline.
This day the paddling is around 19km.
After finishing the trip we will arrange transport and take you back to your hotel or straight away to the airport if you prefer so.
Important information: This itinerary is subject to change. As with all adventure travel, some activities are dependent on appropriate wind and water conditions. But fear not - we have many alternative activities available in any case. If you luck of skills we can make this trip shorter.
We are always available to adapt/tailor this tour or design a similar one according to your needs! Do not hesitate to contact us for any request!
- type Water Element, Guided Trips/Tours
- activities: Sea Kayak,Activities/Sports
- tags: North East Crete, Cretan beaches, Spina Longa, Agios Nikolaos
- duration: 4 days
- on request: Yes
- location: North East Crete (Lasithi). From Elounda area to Pahia Ammos, Lasithi/East Crete
650€ per person
3+ bookings €590 per person (The cost of the apartments/accommodation is not included)
* 6 or more people can participate, if most of the participants are experienced paddlers (3* and above)
Moderate Difficulty Level in usual conditions
(*) Ideal for those that want to paddle more and also improve their skills. You do need to be comfortable paddling in force 4, sea state 4
You need to bring:
- Quick dry shirt (a long sleeve shirt - a lycra rash vest or "rashy" - is ideal)
- Quick dry or neoprene shorts
- Waterproof paddling jacket (i.e. A cag or cagoule)
- Swimming costume
- Sport sandals, water shoes or neoprene shoes
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen (even the winter months)
- Dry bags (many small 5,10,15 or 20lt max)
4 days, 3 nights
Every month from April to November
It is also possible during the winter months Upon Request (contact us for details)
- Ground transportation
- Lodging (based on double occupancy, single supplement applies)
- All kayaking equipment & instruction. Be aware that we use high end paddling equipment. Kayaks from top companies like Valley, Northshore, P&H etc and carbon/glass paddles from Lendal (now called Celtic) and Werner. No crap equipment here.
- Air or ferry to Heraklion on the island of Crete
- Lunches, drinks and any kind of food
- Personal clothing and accessories
- Baggage and trip cancellation insurance, airport taxes and gratuities.