Archaeological tour, guided by an archaeologist
After the decline of the Minoan and Mycenaean civilization on Crete, the island has experienced dramatic upheavals, during the centuries of turning from the 2nd to the 1st millennium BC. The disorganization of the “palatial system” of culture, and the advent of new populations on the island, led to the refuge of many people in the mountains, organizing new defense settlements in the most inaccessible rocky areas.
These edge mountain villages are one of the most impressive residential cases in the history of Crete. They represent the dynamics of the Cretan landscape even in such inhospitable and remote places, while at the same time they show an unexpected lifeline offering high Cretan mountains.
The settlement of Karfi (means the “Nail” for the form of the distinguished limestone rock) of Lassithi mountains is the most typical case: this is the first settlement of that kind witch excavated systematically and to such an extent.
The highlanders of the Cretan “Nail” (Karfi) supervised in their daily lives a Crete almost unknown to other islanders...
- phone: , +30 6955857178
(*) Please include in your message, Activity/Package Name: Karfi: the first and most wide “sky - city” of Crete
Prices & Rates (per person/per group)
9-12 persons: €65
6-8 persons: €85
3-5 persons: €100
2 persons: €140
1 person: €250
Difficulty Level & Required Equipment
Level of difficulty / Risk factor: 1A – M**
(*) Possible also for beginners in trekking
Shoes for trekking / Trekking poles / Sun-screen oil, hat, sunglasses / Windproof jacket / Small rucksack
Duration/Timetable & Pick up Services
- Meeting / return location: Village Kera, in Lassithi (border with Heraklion Prefecture)
- Trekking at the ancient path from Kera to Karfi settlement
- Presentation of the ancient settlements in Mikri and Megali Koprana and other sites like Vitsilovrisi etc.
Upon request: (May - October) A trip can be organized on request with at least 4 days’ notice.
Presentation of Trip's theme
- Specialist: Archaeologist
- A manual in English for each traveler (with references, texts, photos, maps etc)
- Other: Music
- Extra Guide (for more than 5 people)
- Driver (upon request)
- Translator (upon request)
- Beverage (Water)
- Transfer to the starting point of the trips & return (upon request)
- Transportation to the sites of the trip (upon request)
- Personal Insurance
- Entrance fees to museums and organised archaeological sites
- Rucksack, trekking poles (upon request)
- Personal expenses, tips, visa’s cost, taxes