One-day trip around the fortifications & monuments of Heraklion city.
The tour around the fortifications of the city of Heraklion includes walks on the ramparts, and the external ditch, aiming to a deeper knowledge of this magnificent monument.
Historical –Archaeological tour, guided by an archaeologist
In May 1648 started the long siege of Chandax by the Ottomans, which has lasted no less than twenty one years. It is a unique case in world history for the fierce rage of the mighty Sultan’s Empire, as well as for the tireless courage of the city’s inhabitants that spent days and nights at the ramparts of the defensive wall. The battering forces were reinforced, even by the King of France.
Finally, the city’s shield, the wall that “crowned” Crete’s “head”, could not uphold any more. Treason and fatigue caused incurable injuries to the city’s jewel, and the “crown fell down”; the last Venetian city in Crete surrendered to the Ottomans (1669).
This trip outlines the dramatic days just before the fortified city of Chandax (today’s Heraklion) surrendered to the Ottomans. We will wander around the Venetian fortifications that reveal the secrets and the functions of the defensive art of that era, while, in the same time, they reflect all the episodes that allowed the fatal blows, and led to the attackers’ final victory.
- type: Guided Trips/Tours
- activities: History/Archaeology
- tags: Venetian Crete, Heraklion, Chandax, Architecture, History, Archaeology
- duration: 1 days
- on request: Yes, No
- location: Heraklion city (Tour around the fortifications of the city of Heraklion), Heraklio
9-12 persons: €50
6-8 persons: €55
3-5 persons: €95
2 persons: €130
1 person: €230
None. It includes only walks in the city
Shoes for walking / Sunscreen oil, hat, sunglasses / small rucksack
Provisional programme: 10:00 – 14:00
Meeting point: Liberty Square, Heraklion
Return to: Venetian port of Heraklion
10:00 – 13:00: Guiding and walks around the fortifications of the city of Heraklion (city walls and monuments).
13:00 – 14:00: Historical Museum of Crete
EVERY WEDNESDAY: 10.00 – 14.00 (May– October)
Upon request: A trip can be also organized on request with at least 4 days’ notice and an extra charge for the transfer
Presentation of Trip's theme
- Specialist: Archaeologist
- A manual in English for each traveler (with references, texts, photos, maps etc)
- Translator (upon request)
- Beverage (Water)
- Personal Insurance
- Entrance fees to museums and organised archaeological sites
- Rucksack (upon request)
- Transfer to the starting point of the trips & return
- Transportation to the sites of the trip
- Personal expenses, tips, visa’s cost, taxes